Characteristics of Gir Cows
The Gir is a famous milk cattle breed of India, natively found in the Gir hills and forests of Kathiawar including Junagadh, Bhavnagar, Rajkot and Amreli districts of Gujarat.
- Skin color is dominantly brown
- Forehead is prominent, convex and broad like a bony shield
- Ears are long and pendulous and folded like a leaf with a notch at the tip
- Horns are curved turning back at the tip
- Tail is long and whip like; hooves are black and medium-sized; hair is short and glossy; skin is loose and pliable; hipbones are prominent.
- The udder is well developed and round